Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Family History Lesson

My papa just recently passed several books down to me that contained a lot of research about our family history which is traced back a good ways before the Civil War began. I am a great granddaughter x5 to Jenny Brooks Johnston (also known as "Aunt Jenny" to those that know her legend in the Black Warrior Mountains of Bankhead National Forest.)
Jenny was 1/2 Cherokee Indian. 
She had 10 Children and outlived all but one of her ten children. They moved to the Bankhead National Forest (before it was a national forest) in 1849 where they lived off of old Byler Road. The truest story I know that was passed down was that the Yankee Soldiers were robbing, stealing, and killing anyone in their way. The Brooks family, friends, and neighbors fought back by ambushing the soldiers killing several along with husband Willis Francis Brooks and son John. The father and son were murdered in front of the Brooks family- that's when Jenny vowed a lifetime of revenge. 
The feud stretched all the way out West to Oklahoma. I choose to believe that in hard mountain times I would have done the same for my family. Jenny was a midwife to the community and according to a relative, Paulette Long Simmons, she delivered most babies in the forest during her time. She was a true pioneer woman of the forest. I believe that her spirit dies still roam the forest. A lot of spirits still do. She died in 1924 and is buried next to several family members in the Poplar Springs Cemetery near her home. 
Her youngest son Henry Brooks who lived life on both sides of the law,  died in 1920 after being ambushed at his whiskey still along with horse who was trained to warn him of people coming. 
He is buried next to his mother, Jenny in the Poplar Springs Cemetery. 
A picture of an article in one of the books my papa passed down to me about Henry Brooks. 
Riley Jerfferson Simmons is my great great grandfather. He is my papa's(Charles Simmons) grandfather. Jenny raised my great great grandfather Riley. His mother was her daughter, Amanda Brooks, who married John Simmons. Also in the picture is Jenny's youngest daughter Francis who married Sam Baker. Riley actually ended up in jail due to trying to break Henry Brooks out of jail. 

Learning all of these things about my family has really became important to me! 
Know your roots and keep them growing.