Saturday, February 18, 2017

Sipsey Wilderness


The Sipsey Wilderness is an area within the Bankhead National Forest that is some 24,900 acres in size. Our Destination: The above waterfalls starting at Eagle Creek. We don't like the trails :) 
Eagle Creek Falls

We parked off of Cranal Road and went in a little over half a mile into Eagle Creek, following a stream most of the way. About half way in there was a rattlesnake carved into one of the trees. We made it to the top of Eagle Creek Falls which was our destination to set up camp. There was a big chance for rain that night- but loving the outdoors as much as me and my camping buddies we could have cared less. We were prepared- most of us anyway- Leroy...good ole Leroy is rarely prepared for anything- bless him. I wouldn't say we have a group that goes every time but usually it's me- my boyfriend Thomas- his brother Justin and their good friend Leroy. I feel like I just had to familiarize you with some names because they're pretty important in all of my significant trips in the Bankhead. Long story short: Any of the good shit I post on here usually involves them! Back to the trip- We prepared for rain by setting up "tarp city" with our hammocks hanging under them- Justin however brought his tent to set up. After setting up camp we gathered firewood and discovered some really old barbed wire growing out of three different trees across the creek. We set out down Eagle Creek Falls and into the canyon. The terrain in this area is pretty rough and rocky. We seen so many beautiful waterfalls, I'm terrified of heights and didn't climb up this massive waterfall but the boys did- they discovered in a n old chelter bluff behind the waterfall an old tea pot, and remnants of a possible whiskey still. There are A LOT of old whiskey stills lying around the forest- rusting away and full of holes from axes made by the "revenuers." Each one of them still fascinates me even though they may all look the same; each one has its own story. We continue along the creek- crossing it- climbing up to shelter bluffs and then back down- waterproof hiking boots saved my life.) The hikes get tough sometimes but they are so worth it! We come up to Deer Skull Falls- this is a really pretty waterfall because two different ones are right next to each other! 
 Deer Skull Falls A- the other waterfall is to the right of this one.
Second Deer Skull Falls
A really tall waterfall I snapped a picture of on our way back to camp. It started getting dark on us and we we had walked about 2 1/2 miles to walk back to camp and a night hike in this terrain isn't really what you want to have to do (unless you're wanting to night hike of course.) Crossing the creek on the way back- we literally climbed up a rock to get out of the middle of the creek because it got deep- I slipped into the water and submerged one of my boots up to my shin. It's February so the water was freezing! Luckily the temp was in the 60s and weren't expected to get below the upper 40s that night. We made it back to camp right before dark. I was able to dry out my shoes and pants! That night it never even rained- go figure- we were so prepared for it!! Oh well it definitely made the hike out to the truck a lot more pleasant the next day.