Wednesday, February 22, 2017

More exploring on Capsey Creek

 During the Winter most people don't want to go outside but I can't stand the fact of being cooped up inside. Inside is W A Y too confining for me! Thomas and I have been so bored many a times this winter its been freezing cold or raining and we've just drove out to the forest to drive around. He assures me he loves being outside just as much as I do. He must really love it or either he just really loves me haha! One weekend in January on a Friday after Thomas got off work we drove out to a camping spot on the Sipsey River and set up camp. It was already dark when we got there and the lows were expected to be a whole 25 degrees that night...and it was! But we brought the tent rather than our hammocks and set it up and surprisingly it was really warm and comfortable. The coldest I got was getting out of the hammock Saturday morning before we got the fire going! I've spent nights freezing in my hammock in warmer weather than that! We have learned you don't have to eat terrible food while you're camping either. The last several times we camped we have brought filet mignon and tin foil and had perfect steaks over the fire. I'm addicted to coffee so I've started making coffee over the fire. What I'm getting at is that camping doesn't have to be terrible like people think! I guess when you truly love the outdoors, things like rain and cold weather doesn't bother you too much.
Saturday night after we explored in Bankhead all day, camping another night seemed like a good idea again so we headed back to the same spot as the previous night and set up the tent again because instead of cold weather that night it was going to be in the 40s with a chance of rain. As soon as we laid down that night we heard raindrops start hitting the tarp so I got up and got my phone and checked the weather and sure enough a huge line of rain was moving in. We put up our chairs and firewood and said screw it we are tired and going to bed if we start getting wet we will just go jump in the truck. It rained all night but that was some of the best sleep I ever got. It was so calm the next morning. Luckily we stayed dry and even got a fire going despite everything being pretty soaked from rain the night before.
The kid in me had me eating ice off of the waterfalls- no shame

 Capsey Creek was an icy winter wonderland on this day. I can't wait to continue to explore this area. I don't care what anyone says Bigfoot lives here! At least some of his relatives do ;)
 Walked out of Capsey to where we parked and noticed an extremely old cemetery. Thomas doesn't get for them much but I am fascinated by the history of this place and have a lot of kinfolks buried out in this forest. I have learned now to carry a piece of chalk around with me in my backpack when I hike so that I can read carvings better!